Public Works

Land Disturbance

Land Disturbance is any activity that changes the conditions of land form, vegetation, creates bare soil, or otherwise may cause erosion or sedimentation. Activities include clearing, grubbing, removal of vegetation, stripping, excavating, filling, and storing materials. 

A permit is required if more than 50 cubic yards of dirt will be moved. The fee for the permit is dependent on the number of cubic yards to be moved.

Permits may be required for clearing and grubbing work depending on the size and type of work being done. Submit permit applications to Brad Phelps at or 816-325-7617. 

Commercial Grading Permit

Residential Grading Permit

Stormwater Management

Stormwater is any water that is not soaked into the ground after precipitation. When water is absorbed into soil, it is filtered and flows into streams or rivers. 

In developed areas, impervious materials such as pavement and buildings prevent water from naturally infiltrating into the ground. Water runs rapidly into storm drains and ditches and can cause erosion, flooding, and infrastructure damage. 

Stormwater management is the effort to reduce runoff and remove pollutants to protect our watersheds. Public Works provides an Stormwater Management Manual explaining proper implementation for development. 

Stormwater Manual

Erosion Control

Erosion is the removal of soil particles by the flow of water.

Grading and clearing work can cause sediment to be deposited into the storm water system, an open drainage channel, onto a neighbor's property or in the public right-of-way. The City requires erosion control measures such as berms, swales, and straw bales along with silt fences be installed in accordance with City Code for all new construction and demolition projects.

Public Works provides an Erosion Control Manual explaining proper installation of the various erosion control measures.

Erosion and Sediment Control Manual

Drainage on Your Property

To protect your basement from flooding, the ground should slope away from your house. Downspouts should drain away from the house's foundation but should not drain onto your neighbor's property. 

Public Improvements

Some Commercial and Residential developments require public improvements such as public streets, sanitary sewers, and storm water improvements. After public works has approved the engineering plans, a construction permit must be obtained before construction. 

In order to apply for a construction permit, contact Shar Dilmaghani at or 816-325-7611. 

Construction Permit

Construction Permit Cost Worksheet

Maintenance Bond Form Sewer

Maintenance Bond Form Streets