The Independence Beautification Commission is looking for creative input for a re-design of the City flag. The current flag was designed in 1969, pursuant to a contest sponsored by the Women’s Civic Club.
Citizens are urged to submit their designs for a new City flag through the City’s website at www.independencemo.org. A link to the contest details and rules is on the home page. Designs may also be submitted by mail; download and complete the Flag Contest Application Form from the website. Designs must be submitted in color, and all lettering must be clearly legible.
1. The design should be compatible for a flag that is 5 feet long (the fly) and 3.5 feet high (the hoist).
2. The field may be any color.
3. The submitted design must indicate the front (obverse) and back (reverse) of the flag.
4. A design may use a symbol placed on the field of the flag, or may use a canton. (The canton is in the upper left hand corner of the obverse of a flag; it is in the upper right hand corner of the reverse of the flag.)
5. All lettering must be a style that is clearly legible.
6. Designs must be submitted in color.
7. All artwork must be original, and submitter must agree to the release authorizing the City to use the design royalty-free.
8. Clarification or interpretation of the rules governing the contest will be made by the Independence Beautification Commission.
9. Selections and the winning design will be made by the Independence Beautification Commission.
10. The Independence Beautification Commission reserves the right to reject any and all entries.
11. Designs must be submitted in either JPG, GIF, PNG or PDF file format.
12. Entries must be submitted no later than April 30, 2014.