Police Department

Adult Abuse Information

You have a right not to be abused

If you feel you are being abused (physically, mentally, verbally, or sexually), call one of these numbers for information on what you can do to stop the abuse or get away from your abuser:

Hope House (Eastern Jackson County)
Rose Brooks (Kansas City)
News House (Northeast Kansas City)
(816) 461-4673
(816) 861-6100
(816) 241-0311


These phone numbers will be answered 24 hours a day, and you will be able to get information free of charge on housing, financial aid, medical aid, counseling services, and shelter.

You do not have to give your name to the person you talk to, and all information you give over the phone at these numbers is confidential.

For free legal information call Project Assist, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., (816) 474-6750.

Assault and Battery are Crimes
Any person who hits, chokes, kicks, threatens, harasses or places you in fear or harm, either with or without a weapon, has broken the law. You can file criminal charges against your abuser.

Assault and battery reports are reported to your local police department. The police will refer you to the proper location for the filing of charges and to get a copy of your police report, or advise you if the police are obtaining a warrant. In Independence, go to the Police Building at 223 N. Memorial Driver (just west of Noland Road and Truman Road).

If you have been physically abused, call police
In the greater Independence and Kansas City area, you can dial "911". Police responding to a domestic violence call must:

If you have injuries, seek medical attention.
Emergency rooms of local hospitals will see you, if you do not have a regular physician.