The City of Independence is seeking highly motivated, solution-oriented individuals to join the Finance & Administration Department’s Technology Services Team. As a member of the Technology Services team, the Network Engineer will be a part of culture of innovation, initiative, and collaboration. Using the City’s Strategic Plan as a guiding principle, this position will give the opportunity to showcase expertise and ingenuity. This position works as part of a team to install, maintain, and troubleshoot various network and IT related elements in a skilled and professional manner. The Network Engineer will play an active role in the development of infrastructure strategy, architecture, service delivery standards and best practices as well as serve as a subject mater expert for network systems.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Assist in designing network systems
• Assist in providing specifications for network architecture
• Responsible for monitoring network hardware operations to ensure proper configurations
• Prepare for and implement enhancements and upgrades to the network
• Advise network users of hardware requirements, configurations, and limitations
• Evaluates and reports on new technologies to enhance capabilities of the network
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Network Routing and Switching design and management including vlan/vrf, OSPF, BGP
• Networking and ethernet standards, copper and fiber design and installations
• Wireless infrastructure design and management
• vmWare Virtual Server Management
• Active Directory Domain Services including Domain Controllers, DHCP, DNS, Group policy
• Azure Administration and Integrations
• Role-Based Access Controls (RBAC)
• Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), Azure Key Vault, Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)
• Network Security including perimeter, endpoint, server, mobile, and cloud
• PBX and Cloud telephony (UCaaS)
• Expert knowledge of prioritization and time management techniques
• Ability to effectively deliver clear, detailed, and correct verbal and written communication predicting questions and concerns, understanding opposing ideas, concepts, and options.
• Ability to research, define, and validate a variety of information and statistical data and materials.
• Ability to identify, prioritize, delegate, and complete required tasks in the manner and timeframe required.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in an applicable area of study preferred and a minimum of seven (7) years’ professional experience with applicable technologies; or any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Applicable vendor-specific or similar certification preferred. A valid driver’s license is required. Must complete required NIMS level training within the first six months of hire.
Physical Requirements: Sedentary work exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
Typical Working Conditions: Typical office environment with possibility for remote work.
FBI Background Check; Drug screen; in addition to the application, testing and/or examinations may be required for further consideration on this position.
Apply online at www.indepmo.org/hr. Position open until filled with first review June 1, 2021.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – BILINGUAL SKILLS PREFERRED