Applicants must complete both of the following steps. Applicants who fail to complete both steps will not be considered.
PURPOSE: To establish an eligibility list for firefighter candidates
NOTE: To complete the application process, applicants must complete the requirements outlined in the Firefighter Information Packet available by clicking the link above or in the Human Resources Department, 111 E. Maple, Independence MO.
Position summary: Performs duties, in both emergency and non-emergency situations, related to fire protection, emergency medical services, rescue services, hazardous materials response, and emergency management delivery. May be assigned to various support divisions and specialized teams within the Fire Department. Must be able to successfully complete NIMS 700, 200 and 100 training within 60 days after date of hire.
• High school diploma or equivalent
• MO Firefighter I & II Certification. A.S. in Fire Science preferred
• MO/EMT license (Applicants with a valid MO Paramedic license will be given preference. A 5% pay differential is applied when assigned to paramedic duties.)
• CPAT (Candidate Physical Abilities Test) certification within the last 12 months
• Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations Level Certifications
• Pass the Regional FF written exam (test scores will be considered during the selection process)
• MO Paramedic License OR MO EMT license accepted
• MO Firefighter I & II Certification (IFSAC or ProBoard)
• Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations Level Certifications (IFSAC or ProBoard)
• Valid State Driver’s License
• Background investigation
• Medical examination and drug test
Physical Demands: Ability to lift heavy objects or persons in the course of rescue; ability to climb ladders, haul hose while wearing required protective clothing/gear; operate extrication equipment.
Typical Working Conditions: Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions consisting of extreme heat and cold. Applicant must be able to function under extremely difficult circumstances.
• Written Test: Metropolitan Community College at Blue River Campus:
Call 816-604-6725 to pay fee and schedule the test.
Blue River Community College is located at 20301 East 78 Highway, Independence MO.
Accepting on-line applications at http://www.ci.independence.mo.us/HR/ through June 21, 2019, or at the City of Independence, Human Resources Dept., 2nd Floor, City Hall, 111 East Maple, Independence, MO. For more information call 816-325-7390.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – BILINGUAL SKILLS PREFERRED