Community Development
Share this page:

Business Licensing moves to Community Development

In an effort to continue to improve customer focus, the City of Independence today announced the business license function will be merged with the Rental Ready Program in the Community Development Department in a new Regulated Industries division beginning July 1.


The Regulated Industries division is responsible for processing, issuing and monitoring business, rental, liquor and other licenses and permits authorized in Chapters 2, 5 and 19 of the City Code to ensure the safety, health and economic sustainability of our community through enforcement, regulation and education. The division will oversee compliance with these licenses and permits through enforcement of various City ordinances in partnerships with other City Departments.


Those with questions regarding the Rental Ready program can call (816)325-7405 or visit Those with questions regarding business, liquor or other licenses can call (816)325-7079 or (816)325-7063 or visit

You can learn more about the City’s Strategic Plan, Independence for All, which has driven changes like this at