Food Manager Class Information
CITY OF INDEPENDENCE FOOD MANAGER CLASSES ARE TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED
Due to a recent increase in Covid-19 cases we have temporarily suspended food manager classes. Please check back regularly as we will update this site when manager classes resume with new information, date, and times of future classes. Please note that regular food handler classes can continue to be completed online via the City of Independence website.
If you have any further questions or concerns please contact us (816) 325-7803.
Attention - Please Read the Following:
Food service employees in Independence are required to obtain a Food Handler Permit. Food service managers in Independence are required to obtain a Food Service Manager Permit. Food establishments must have at least one permitted Food Service Manager on duty at all times.
The permits issued by the City of Independence are valid in Independence and Eastern Jackson County.
Food safety training is required for both Food Handler and Food Manager permits and is provided by the Health Department. Comparable food safety certification (proctored ServSafe, Culinary Degree, etc.) may meet the training requirement. Certificates are only accepted if the food handler exam was administered by a proctor (unsupervised, online exams will not be accepted).
COVID-19 & CLASS INFORMATION:
- Masks are required to attend class
- Class size will be reduced to allow for spacing and minimizing contact
- Do not enter building upon arrival - please wait outside - the instructor will come out to check you in and give you further direction
- A health screening and taking of temperature will be required upon arrival
For more information, please visit the Food Handler/Manager Permits page.
for Food Service Manager Class with a Credit Card
View Fee Amounts
Please visit City Hall
(111 E. Maple Ave), Monday through Friday
the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Register for a Food Service Manager class using cash or check
- Obtain a permit using substitute training
- Transfer a permit card from another jurisdiction
- Get a replacement card
Please contact us at (816) 325-7803
if you have questions.