Bounded by the Missouri Pacific railroad to the north, Northern Boulevard to the west, the Chicago & Alton tracks to the south and Crysler Avenue to the east, this neighborhood is characterized by early to mid-20th century development with vestiges of late 19th century farms and late 20th century infill construction.
This Italianate home has a shallow hipped roof and wide bracketed eaves. Originally built in 1858 by lawyer, congressman and businessman Samuel Woodson on the original westward trail, it is now the Woodson Guest House, a bed and breakfast.
Portions of this house could date to the mid 19th century. The residence is on land that was originally owned by Smallwood Noland. The 1877 Atlas and other sources help identify the property as that belonging to the Tidswell-White families.
Circa 1924 Citizens Security Bank Building has connections with Harry S Truman as he became involved in a business venture with Citizens Security and affiliate bank Community Savings and Loan. Except for replacement windows and infill on the second story, it still has the 1920s characteristics.
This was the residence of Mayor Roger T. Sermon, Sr. from the time of its construction in 1935 to the time of his death in 1950. He served as mayor from 1924-1950. The home is also a distinctive example of the French Eclectic style in Independence.
This residence was originally owned by William Southern, longtime publisher of the Independence Examiner. He and his wife occupied the home into the 1950s. His daughter May Southern Wallace, was a sister-in-law of Bess Wallace Truman.
This home has associations with the Truman/Pendergast/Sermon political machine. It was the residence from 1926-1942 for Lou Holland, business partner with Truman, and later for Mayor William Sermon. Sermon lived there from the mid-1940s through the 1950s. He and his brother-in-law, Harvey Jones, took over the remainder of the Truman/Sermon political organization after Roger T. Sermon's death. Artificial siding covered the original stucco cladding.
The 1949 Englewood Theater was designed by architect Luther Orville Willis. It is an excellent local example of the International Style. Features include the flat roof, the smooth stucco work, and asymmetrical façade with floor-to-ceiling plate glass windows.
The Schulenberg Residence is a rare and significant example of the French Eclectic style in Independence. It features a steeply pitched roof, varied roof-line heights, massive chimney and mixed materials such as stucco, brick and stone.
The McCoy residence is a Prairie Style home, rare and high styled for Independence. It was designed and built in 1915 by architect William Stewart McCoy to be his family home.
There are no other Colonial Revival style homes in Independence with as much craftsmanship or reach the size of this one. Built in 1905, it was the home of Joseph M. Robinson, owner of the Robinson Shoe Company in Kansas City.
Proctor Place holds the distinction of being known as "Politicians Row" for the previous resident's strong ties to the Truman-Sermon faction.
Englewood Plaza Commercial Area on Winner Road and between Appleton and Harvard Avenue was established during 1924-1932. The second boom of development for this area was 1946-1960. The residential streets on either side of Winner retain historic character as well.
Be sure to view other nice enclaves such as:
Materials presented here were obtained from the Cultural Resource Survey for the Lexington-Winner Road-Englewood Neighborhoods prepared for the City of Independence by Historic Preservation Services, LLC in April 2000.