Where to Call for Assistance in Independence
Catalog of Missouri Assistance Programs
- www.SocialServe.org - A searchable rental properties database
- Community Services League - Housing counseling (816) 254-4100
- Independence Housing Authority - Housing Voucher Program/Public Housing (816) 836-9200
- The Independence Housing Authority Central Office/Section 8 Office is now located at:
- 4215 S. Hocker Dr, Building 5, Independence, Mo 64055
- HUD Apartment Search
HOME Investment Partnership Funded Affordable Housing
- Maple Avenue Apartments 625 W. Maple Ave. 816-836-4090
- Sterling Creek Apartments 3302 S Sterling Ave. 816-836-6804
- Mt. Washington Senior Apartments 570 S. Evanston (816) 564-0035
- Salvation Army Crossroads Shelter - (816) 461-1093
- Hope House (Domestic violence victims shelter) - (816) 461-4188
- Dept. of Family Services - (816) 325-5933
Emergency Home Repairs
NWCDC Emergency Home Repair Program – (816) 833-3072
Emergency and minor home repairs to low income homeowners provided by the NorthWest Community Development Corporation located at the Fairmount Community Center- 217 S. Cedar Ave, Independence, Missouri 64053 when funds are available. Homes must be in the city limits and homeowners must meet program guidelines.
Community Action Agency of Greater Kansas City – (816) 358-6868
Income restrictions apply. Services provided by United Services located at 6323 Manchester Avenue, Kansas City, Missouri 64133
Provided through the program:
- Repair or replacement of furnaces and water heaters
- Repair or replacement windows and doors
- Caulking, weather stripping and installing insulation to sidewalls and attics.
This program provides exterior repairs to low income homeowners in the form of a Zero interest loan.
Typical repairs include:
- roof repair or replacement
- porch repairs
- driveway/sidewalk repairs.
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri - (816) 474-6750
4001 Blue Parkway, Suite 300, Kansas City, MO 64130
- Fairmount-Carlisle Tax Abatement Program - (816) 325-7426