Where to Call for Assistance in Independence
Catalog of Missouri Assistance Programs
- Community Services League - Housing counseling (816) 254-4100
- Independence Housing Authority - Housing Voucher Program/Public Housing (816) 836-9200
- The Independence Housing Authority Central Office/Section 8 Office is now located at:
- 4215 S. Hocker Dr, Building 5, Independence, Mo 64055
- HUD Apartment Search
HOME Investment Partnership Funded Affordable Housing
- Mt. Washington Senior Apartments 570 S. Evanston (816) 564-0035
Find a Foreclosure Avoidance Counselor
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development maintains a list of approved housing counselors who give free or low-cost advice. To find a HUD-approved counselor in your area, call (800) 569-4287 or search HUD's list online:
Search Nationwide Search in Missouri
NeighborWorks America offers free advice and support from a nonprofit organization, HUD-certified counselors 24 hours a day. Also, here's their Foreclosure Assistance page.
- Salvation Army Crossroads Family Shelter - (816) 461-1093
- Hope House (Domestic violence victims shelter) - (816) 461-4188
- Dept. of Family Services - (816) 325-5933
Emergency Home Repairs.
Community Action Agency of Greater Kansas City – (816) 358-6868
Income restrictions apply. Services provided by United Services located at 6323 Manchester Avenue, Kansas City, Missouri 64133
Provided through the program:
- Repair or replacement of furnaces and water heaters
- Repair or replacement windows and doors
- Caulking, weather stripping and installing insulation to sidewalls and attics.
- Truman Heritage Habitat for Humanity Brush With Kindness Program - (816) 461-6551
This program provides exterior repairs to low income homeowners in the form of a Zero interest loan.
Typical repairs include:
- roof repair or replacement
- porch repairs
- driveway/sidewalk repairs.
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri - (816) 474-6750
4001 Blue Parkway, Suite 300, Kansas City, MO 64130
- Tax Abatement Programs - (816) 325-7426