COVID-19: Updates on Changes to City Services
Updated August 3, 2021:
City Hall and the Independence Utility Center are open to the public regular hours.
Masks are strongly encouraged at all City facilities.
Please see below and overview of other changes to City services.
- Animal Services – The Regional Animal Shelter is open for adoptions by appointment only, one guest/family at a time. To set-up an appointment, please call (816) 325-7207.
- Building Permits –
- All trade permits (electrical, mechanical, plumbing), roof permits and energize permits can be completed online at indep.us/permitportal
- All other permits can be submitted at City Hall. The lobby of City Hall will be open to the public from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., M-F, with access to two windows and marks on the floors for social distancing. Once social distancing capacity has been met inside the building, individuals will be asked to wait outside.
- Business Licenses –
- All business, landlord and liquor licenses can be applied for, submitted and paid online. Once the license is approved, it will be mailed to you. There is a kiosk available in the City Hall lobby to also apply for these permits. The lobby of City Hall will be open to the public from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., M-F. Once social distancing capacity has been met inside the building, individuals will be asked to wait outside.
- Administrative hearings have resumed.
- Community Development - Community Development has two windows open for business with temporary barriers to protect staff and visitors. The lobby of City Hall will be open to the public from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays, with access to two windows and marks on the floors for social distancing. Once social distancing capacity has been met inside the building, individuals will be asked to wait outside.
- Facilities – Facilities maintenance crews will increase regular cleaning rotations throughout the various buildings, including sanitizing regularly touched locations such as door handles, counters, elevator buttons and railings.
- Municipal Court - In-person court dates resumed on Tuesday, June 2. Individuals will have access to pay for municipal tickets or speak to Municipal Court staff at the windows. Please follow the social distancing marks on the floor. Please continue to use the website at municipalrecordsearch.com/independencemo for case updates.
Municipal Court Hours are Mon.- Thurs.- 8AM-5PM, and Friday - Closed
Youth Court Office Hours are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9 AM - 4 PM
- Paying utility bills – The Customer Service windows inside the Independence Utilities Center will be open to the public from 8AM to 5PM Mondays through Fridays. The drive-thru is open Monday through Friday 7:30AM to 5PM. Cash payments will be accepted at the windows and through the drive-thru.
- Police Department –
- The lobby of Police Headquarters will be open to the public from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays.
- When requesting police services, please continue to call 9-1-1 for emergencies and (816) 836-3600 for non-emergencies and past occurred incidents. Our call takers will assign a priority level and determine the best course of action.
- Reporting concerns – Citizens are now able to report their concerns via the City’s new app - IndepNow. You can download the app from the Google Play Store here or the Apple App Store here. Please allow for delays in response to these service requests as City staff work through this situation with modified staffing in various departments.
Back to Menu