Water Pollution Control

Driveway Pipe and Roadside Ditches Policy

Driveway Pipe and Roadside Ditches Policy/Practice/Procedure


According to City Code, the property owner is responsible for the maintenance of the public right-of-way from edge of pavement to right-of-way line. This includes driveways, driveway culverts (pipes), open ditches, sidewalks, off street parking, curbs and gutters.



Common practices and procedures followed by the Public Works and Water Pollution Control Departments.


Driveway Pipe

On existing construction, the policy and practice for driveway culverts (pipes under the driveway) is the City will install the pipe when appropriate pipe (in accordance with the Public Works Manual) is provided by the property owner. This service is on a first-come/first-serve basis with the property owner being placed on a waiting list. If the property owner wants to install the pipe themselves, a street or right-of-way permit is required. The City does not maintain driveway culverts.


For new construction, driveway culvert installation requires a street or right-of-way opening permit and must be in accordance with the Public Works Manual.


For information concerning the City policies on driveway pipes, call Public Works at (816) 325-7617 or (816) 325-7618.


Roadside Ditches

Maintenance of roadside ditches is not provided by the City, but roadside ditching to provide adequate storm water drainage is done free of charge and must be requested by the property owner. If the property owner wants to do the ditching themselves, a permit is required through the Public Works Department.


The City does not install enclosed roadside drainage systems nor maintain them, but if three or more adjoining properties have an enclosed drainage system and the system is acceptable, the property owners may request maintenance and the Water Pollution Control Department will provide maintenance of the adjoining systems – call the Storm Water Division at (816) 325-7724.


Crossroad Pipes

Pipes for storm water drainage which run underneath City streets are maintained by the City. Pipes that are 36 inches and larger are maintained by Water Pollution Control and pipes less 36 inches are maintained by Public Works.