HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE INFORMATION
A typical home contains a vast array of hazardous products used for cleaning, painting, beautifying and disinfecting, such as garden and yard pesticides/herbicides, paint, automotive fluids, etc. Unwanted household products labeled as flammable, toxic, corrosive, or reactive are household hazardous wastes (HHW). Chemical-based household products from a single home may seem insignificant; but when millions of homes use similar products, the combined effect becomes a major problem if they are handled, stored or disposed of improperly. The health and safety of people and animals, as well as the environment, is endangered when these types of products are discarded in the trash, poured down sinks or into storm drains.
Some examples of products which will be accepted are: any batteries, paint and paint products (aerosol cans, varnish, stripper, thinner, turpentine, etc.); fluorescent light bulbs; garden and yard products (herbicides, pesticides, sprays, rat poison, and weed killers); all automotive fluids (antifreeze, used motor oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, and gasoline); household cleaners (lye, drain, toilet and tub cleaners, oven cleaners; kerosene; mercury thermometers; unused and/or outdated medicines, etc. If you are uncertain whether your particular waste will be accepted, call Water Pollution Control at 325-7711.
NO electronics, appliances, trash, yard waste, medical waste, tires, asbestos, radioactive waste, pressurized gas cylinders or commercial waste will be accepted.
Independence residents are welcome to take their HHW to any mobile event for free or to take it to the HHW Facility. To transport and deliver to the site, make sure all container lids are on tight. Bring in original containers, if possible. Don’t mix different or unknown substances together. If containers are leaking, wrap in plastic and pack in larger containers or boxes with absorbent material, such as cat litter. Use sturdy tubs or boxes to pack your items and surround with newspaper. Keep chemicals away from children and pets while transporting - use the trunk of the car, rear of the station wagon or truck bed. Volunteers will be on hand to unload your vehicle.
At any other time of the year, residents are welcome to take their household hazardous waste to the Kansas City, Missouri facility for free disposal. Normal days of for disposal are Thursdays, Fridays between 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Saturdays 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. No appointments required.
If you would like more information about the City’s Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Program or the upcoming mobile collection, please call Water Pollution Control at 325-7711.
2014 Household Hazardous Waste Events
- April 19 - Blue Springs - ABOP: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. @ Pink Hill Park (2715 NW Park Dr, Blue Springs, MO 64015)
- May 31 - Excelsior Springs: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. @ Excelsior Springs Public Works Dept. (103 E. Water St. (S. Marietta) 64024)
- June 21 - Harrisonville: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. @ Cass County Justice Center (2501 W. Mechanic St, Harrisonville, MO 64701)
- August 9 - Belton - ABOP: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. @ Belton Freshman Center (801 West North Ave, Belton, MO 64012)
- August 16 - Smithville: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. (To Be Determined)
- August 23 - Platte County: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. @ Platte Ridge Park (17130 MO HWY 371. Platte City, MO 64079)
- September 13 - Richmond: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. @ Richmond City Hall (205 Summit St., Richmond, MO 64085)
- September 27 - Gladstone - ABOP: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. @ Happy Rock Park (7600 NE Antioch Rd, Gladstone, MO 64119)
- October 4 - Riverside - ABOP: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. @ 1001 Argosy Parkway, Riverside, MO)
- October 18 - Liberty: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. @ Liberty City Hall (101 E. Kansas St., Liberty, MO 64068)
ABOP = Antifreeze, Batteries, Oil, and Paint only
2014 HHW Program Participants
- Blue Springs
- Excelsior Springs
- Garden City
- Grain Valley
- Kansas City, MO
- Lake Tapawingo
- Lake Waukomis
- Lake Winnebago
- Lee's Summit
- Lone Jack
- North Kansas City
- Platte City
- Pleasant Hill
- < font size="4">Pleasant Valley
- Sugar Creek
- Weatherby Lake
- Unincorporated Cass Co.
- Unincorporated Clay Co.
- Unincorportated Jackson Co.
- Unincorportated Platte Co.