Residential trash service is not provided by the City.
Please contact a private trash hauler for weekly trash pick-up.
Eight trash haulers are licensed to operate in Independence. Some also provide recycling services. Contact each company directly for information, fees and schedules:
The Drop-Off Depot is closed until March 9, 2019.
- Location: 875 Vista Avenue, 1 mile east of M-291 on Truman Road, north on Vista Avenue
- Hours: 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. on the second Saturday of each month March - November
- Independence residents only. Bring a valid driver's license or recent utility bill.
- Residential only - no contractor vehicles allowed.
- Cash or local check only. No credit cards, debit cards or coins accepted.
- By MO State Statute, loads must be tarped or secured so that no part of the load can fall from the vehicle.
Fees at the Drop-Off Depot:
Please note: The same fees apply to both trash and brush.
Fees are based on the type of vehicle used, not the contents of the load (except tires and appliances).
- Car - $20
- Pickup, SUV, Van - $25
- Trailer 8 feet or less - $30
- Trailer over 8 feet - $40
- Tires - 5 or less - No fee
- Tires - More than 5 - Above vehicle fees apply
Vehicles pulling trailers - If both the vehicle and the trailer contain items for disposal, you will be charged for both.
- $15 each - Refrigerators, freezers, stoves, dishwashers, hot water heaters, washers, dryers, etc.
- No fee - must have all fluids drained
- No fee - auto, boat, lawnmower, motorcycle
- Furniture, mattresses & box springs, carpet, plumbing fixtures, sheet rock, windows, shingles, fencing, landscape timbers, bricks, paving stones, etc.
- Brush - limbs, firewood, bushes & stumps. NO bagged leaves or grass.
Items NOT Accepted
- Televisions, computer monitors, liquids, gas tanks, sealed drums.
There are no landfills in Independence.
Courtney Ridge Recycling & Disposal Facility
2001 N Highway 291
Sugar Creek, MO
Phone: (816) 257-7999
Summit Waste Systems Resource Recovery Park
2101 SE Hamblen Road
Lee's Summit, MO
Phone: (816) 623-3066
Household Hazardous Waste
Paint, cleaners, drain openers, pool chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers, antifreeze, gasoline, etc.