Property owners can reduce the likelihood of outages by taking a few simple steps with the trees on their property:
- Plan carefully when landscaping to keep trees from growing too close or into power lines. When planting, always consider the expected mature height and width of trees.
- Inspect your property for potential problems from dead limbs hanging over power lines and trees and other plantings growing too close to power lines.
- Trim trees near and around the service line. Trimming trees near and around the line running from the pole to the house is the responsibility of the property owner.
- Use extreme caution near all power lines. If necessary, hire a professional tree trimming company to ensure that the trees are trimmed safely.
- Before trimming near a service line, call IPL at 325-7550 to schedule the power to be temporarily shut off and the line temporarily placed on the ground while the work is being done. There is no charge for this service. Please call ahead!
- Call IPL immediately at 325-7550 if you see electricity "arcing" or flaming from a tree limb coming in contact with a power line.
- When in doubt, call IPL's tree trimming team at 325-7557 for advice.