Teaching Children to Use 9-1-1
Parents can use the following safety tips to teach their children the proper way to use 9-1-1 to report emergencies:
- Never say "nine eleven." There is no eleven on a telephone keypad or dial. Always say "nine-one-one."
- Always call from a safe place. If there is a fire in the house, get out first and then call.
- Post your address near the phone.
- Never call 9-1-1 as a prank or joke. You can get into trouble and keep someone who really needs help from getting it on time.
- 9-1-1 is not for animal emergencies.
- Call 9-1-1 if you think you have an emergency and explain the situation to the dispatcher.
- If you call 9-1-1 by mistake, don't hang up. Explain the mistake to the dispatcher and say there is not emergency.