The Independence Police Department consists of five divisions which make up the department. By using the links to the left, you will find detailed information about each division.
The more than 300 men and women of the Independence Police Department make up a full-service law enforcement agency serving the needs of all who live in, work in, and visit Missouri’s fourth largest city. Of this number, 203 are commissioned police officers. Field officers are comprised of personnel from the Patrol, Traffic, Special Response Team (SRT), Canine Unit, and Community Services Unit. Other officers are assigned to specialized units that includes the Investigations Unit, Drug Enforcement Unit (DEU), Career Criminal Unit, School Resource Officers (SRO), D.A.R.E. Unit, and Crime Prevention Unit.
The mission statement of the department is simple:
The police department is the largest of the 18 City departments. The 2013-2014 operating budget is $26,422,081, or about 37% of the City General Fund, which does not include the Water, Power & Light, and Water Pollution Control departments. 85% of our operating budget pays for salary & benefits, with the remaining 15 % used for operating costs. Nearly 30 positions are funded wholly or in part by outside funding sources to provide specialized services in schools, neighborhoods and the business community.
We are charged with providing a wide variety of community oriented services including the preservation of peace and order, enforcement of the law and ordinances, prevention and suppression of crime, detection and apprehension of violators of all laws and ordinances, incarceration of those sentenced to detention for municipal ordinance convictions or those awaiting formal charges from the state or federal level, and to perform other duties relating to public peace, order and safety.