Disease Prevention & Control Division
The Disease Prevention & Control Division staff informs, motivates, and helps individuals and groups assume responsibility for improving the health of themselves, their families, and their community. The staff promotes voluntary adoption and maintenance of health practices and lifestyles which will lead to the highest level of individual and community health, and advocates social and environmental changes as needed to facilitate these goals. The staff monitors disease occurrence rates in the community and provides community health education. Public health emergency preparedness planning and education is provided in collaboration with the City, regional and state emergency officials.
Some of the activities the Disease Prevention & Control Division is involved in include:
- Asthma, nutrition, lead poisoning and child safety education
- Emergency response and pandemic influenza preparedness, education and exercises
- Communicable disease prevention: education, surveillance and outbreak management
- Immunization audits in daycare facilities to ensure 100% compliance for all enrolled
- Support and advocacy for smoke-free establishments and smoking cessation education
- Education and support for senior health issues and Medicare Part D
- Worksite wellness activities
- Certified copies of birth and death certificates
- Flu clinics
If you are looking for information on WIC, STD Clinics or the Jackson County Free Health Clinic, please visit Jackson County Health Department's Website at http://www.jacohd.org/.