Birth and Death Certificates
Independence Health Department
515 S. Liberty Street
P.O. Box 1019
Independence, MO 64051
Phone: (816) 325-7185
Fax: (816) 325-7098
Birth and Death Certificates will be printed off between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:45 p.m.
Office hours: Monday through Friday (except holidays), 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
You can request a Missouri birth or death certificate from the Independence Health Department by mail or in person at 515 S. Liberty Street, Independence, Missouri.
Who may request and receive copies of vital records?
- The primary person named on the vital records.
- A member of the immediate family, which includes wife, husband, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew and in-law. This does not include cousins.
- Others: guardian who shows guardian paperwork, foster parent who furnishes custody papers, step-parent and attorney acting on behalf of the registrant or family.
Requests by mail
Please submit the notarized application/request form for birth or death certification and forward with check or money order in the appropriate amount to the Independence Health Department, P.O. Box 1019, Independence, MO 64051.
- For a Missouri certified birth certificate, your request must include the birth name, birth date, mother's maiden name, father's name, your relationship to the person named on the certificate and the reason you need the record. Certified birth certificates are available from 1920 forward and are $15 each.
- For a Missouri certified death certificate, you need the deceased's name, date of death, place of death and your relationship to the person named on the certificate. Certificates for deaths within the state of Missouri starting in 1980, are $13 for the first copy and $10 for each additional copy.
- Please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope, a copy of your driver's license or other ID and a check or money order payable to the City of Independence. All requests are sent out within two days unless a problem occurs.
Birth/Death Certificate Request Form
Questions? Call 816-325-7185