The City of Independence has developed municipal codes intended to protect the life, health, safety, and welfare of its residents. The Property Maintenance Code and Health Code set the standards by which development must conform.
It is the mission of the Code Compliance Division of the Health Department to work in partnership with the people of Independence to promote and maintain a safe and desirable living and working environment. We help maintain or improve the quality of our community in three ways:
- We administer a fair and unbiased enforcement program to correct violations of municipal codes and land use requirements. The codes we enforce are:
- Property Maintenance Code - minimum standards for safe and sanitary property
- Landlord/Tenant Code - requirements for landlords/tenants
- We work with residents, neighborhood associations, public service agencies and other City of Independence Departments to:
- Empower community self-help programs.
- Develop public outreach programs.
- Establish community priorities for the enforcement program.
- We participate in special programs targeted toward specific problems in Independence communities. These programs include:
- Neighborhood Action Centers
- Rental Licensing Program
- Crime-Free Multi-Housing Program
In most cases, the person responsible for a code violation is given an opportunity to voluntarily comply with the law and correct the situation.
Once the deadline in the Compliance Order has passed, the owner or responsible person is subject to one or both of the remedies listed below. (In addition to any fines that result, fees including administrative costs will be charged for any abatement action.)
Administrative Citation - This remedy is designed to address minor violations. The fines range from $150 to $500 and generally increase with each offense.
Abatement - This remedy is used where the City needs to take action to abate a nuisance. In a typical case, the Code Compliance Division will hire a private contractor to board and secure a structure or to clean a property of trash and weeds.