Emergency Preparedness Manager:
Emergency Preparedness Planner: Andrew Carpenter
The mission of the Emergency Preparedness (EP) Division:
To protect the City of Independence by coordinating and integrating all activities necessary to build, sustain, and improve the capability to prevent, mitigate, prepare for, respond to, and recover from threatened or actual natural disasters, acts of terrorism, or other emergency events through a comprehensive, risk-based, all-hazard emergency management program.
The City of Independence strives to build resiliency to disasters through community involvement at all levels. Training is provided to first responders and City government officials and employees using online and classroom training environments. Public Education Programs are available year round to provide citizens with personal, family, neighborhood and business emergency preparedness training. Presentations tailored for service organizations, PTA/PTO, school assemblies, church/faith based organizations, businesses, and those with unique needs are available on request.
Critical to making our community strong is the need for each of us to take responsibility for the immediate survival of those closest to us. Three simple steps will create a less vulnerable, more resilient community with the capacity to cope with any event during disaster situations.
- Have a functional family emergency plan,
- Keep a fully stocked 72 hour kit for each family member,
- Have adequate training to care for family and neighbors in the wake of any disaster.
If you are interested in becoming more involved in community resiliency the following organizations meet and train regularly to maintain existing proficiencies, develop new skill sets, and enjoy making a difference for our community.
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- Disaster Animal Response Team (DART)
- Independence/Eastern Jackson County Emergency Communications (Amateur Radio) Services (ECS)
- Independence/Eastern Jackson County Emergency Operations Center Management Team
- Independence Weather Spotter Team
- Truman Search and Rescue Team (TSAR)
Feel free to contact the Emergency Preparedness Division directly at (816) 325-7167 to schedule presentations, register for classes, or additional information, or visit the following websites.
- FireOnline@indepmo.org - Information on CERT classes and membership
- Prepare Metro KC - Preparedness information presented by Mid America Regional Council (MARC)
- ReadyToHelp.org - Information on Independence and Eastern Jackson County volunteer organizations, classes, training, and membership
- Storm Aware - Detailed videos on taking shelter in specific types of buildings, information on tornado sirens and weather alert radios, and links to severe weather texting services that can alert citizens to upcoming severe weather
- NWS Weather Forecast Office - National Weather Service Forecast Office with links to weather-related websites
- Ready.gov - FEMA information on emergency preparations, building a kit, making a family plan, and links to additional emergency preparedness information
- Ready.gov Citizen Corps - Information on the Citizen Corps volunteer program
- MO DHSS 'Ready In 3' - Information on emergency preparedness, assembling a kit, and important additional information