Where to Call for Assistance in Independence
Catalog of Missouri Assistance Programs
- www.SocialServe.org - A searchable rental properties database
- Community Services League - Housing counseling (816) 254-4100
- Independence Housing Authority - Housing Voucher Program/Public Housing (816) 836-9200 *new location*
- The Independence Housing Authority Central Office/Section 8 Office is now located at:
- 4215 S. Hocker Dr, Building 5, Independence, Mo 64055
- HUD Apartment Search
HOME Investment Partnership Funded Affordable Housing
- Maple Avenue Apartments 625 W. Maple Ave. 816-836-4090
- Sterling Creek Apartments 3302 S Sterling Ave. 816-836-6804
- Mt. Washington Senior Apartments 570 S. Evanston (816) 564-0035
- Salvation Army Crossroads Shelter - (816) 461-1093
- Hope House (Domestic violence victims shelter) - (816) 461-4188
- Dept. of Family Services - (816) 325-5933
Emergency Home Repairs
NWCDC Emergency Home Repair Program – (816) 833-3072
Emergency and minor home repairs to low income homeowners provided by the NorthWest Community Development Corporation located at the Fairmount Community Center- 217 S. Cedar Ave, Independence, Missouri 64053 when funds are available. Homes must be in the city limits and homeowners must meet program guidelines.
United Services Home Weatherization Assistance Program – (816) 358-6868
Income restrictions apply. Services provided by United Services located at 6323 Manchester Avenue, Kansas City, Missouri 64133
Provided through the program:
- Repair or replacement of furnaces and water heaters
- Repair or replacement windows and doors
- Caulking, weather stripping and installing insulation to sidewalls and attics.
This program provides exterior repairs to low income homeowners in the form of a Zero interest loan.
Typical repairs include:
- roof repair or replacement
- porch repairs
- driveway/sidewalk repairs.
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri - (816) 474-6750
1125 Grand Blvd, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Fairmount-Carlisle Tax Abatement Program - (816) 325-7426