Water Department

Bill Payment Assistance Programs

The City of Independence and the Community Services League offer several programs to assist senior citizens with utility bill payments. Here is a description of the programs and how to see if you qualify:

Independence Rate Assistance Program (IRAP)

This program is designed to help low income elderly or disabled people with their utility costs. Qualified citizens of Independence pay only 50% of the electric charges on their bill. This program is administered by the Community Services League, 254-4100. To qualify, you must:

  • Be at least 60 years old or disabled,
  • Live within the city limits of Independence,
  • Be the head of your household and have electric service with the City of Independence or Kansas City Power and Light,
  • Have a maximum income of all household members no greater than 150% of the poverty level as announced by the Health and Human Services Department,
  • Have resources not exceeding $3,000, excluding your residence and vehicle, and
  • Not own rental property.

Home Weatherization

You may be able to lower your utility bills by making improvements to your home. Community Services League offers assistance to qualified people, including senior citizens, who want to make such home improvements as adding weather stripping around doors and windows, adding insulation, etc. For information, contact Community Services League at 254-4100.

Sanitary Sewer Discount

The City of Independence offers a one dollar discount to qualified persons who receive social security or similar retirement benefits. For more information, contact Utilities Customer Service at 325-7930. To qualify:

  • Your water use must be between 100 and 400 cubic feet per month during winter months, and
  • You must provide proof that you receive social security or similar retirement benefits at age 62 or over.

Late Fee Waiver

The City of Independence may waive the late fee for customers who have social security or similar retirement benefits as their sole source of income. To find out if you qualify, contact Utilities Customer Service at 325-7930.


If you need assistance paying your utility bill, please contact Utilities Customer Service as soon as possible. It is much easier for our staff to work out a payment plan with customers who are current on their payments, rather than trying to find ways to make arrangements when the bill is already delinquent.