Did You Know?
Below are some fun facts for kids of all ages
- Water that is safe to drink is called Potable.
- Water is composed of two elements: HYDROGEN and OXYGEN.
- 2 HYDROGEN + 1 OXYGEN = H20 Water!
- There is the same amount of water on Earth now as there was when the Earth was formed.
Just imagine! The water from your faucet could contain molecules that dinosaurs drank!
- Nearly 97% of the world's water is salty or otherwise undrinkable. Another 2% is locked in ice caps and glaciers. That leaves just 1% for all of humanity's needs - all its agricultural, residential, manufacturing, community, and personal needs.
- Water regulates the Earth's temperature. It also regulates the temperature of the human body, carries nutrients and oxygen to cells, cushions joints, protects organs and tissues, and removes wastes.
- 75% of the human brain is water and 75% of a living tree is water.
- A person can live for about a month without food, but only about a week without water.
- Water expands by 9% when it freezes. Frozen water (ice) is lighter than water, which is why ice floats in water.
- One ear of corn is 80% water.
- On the average, 50% - 70% of summer household water is used outdoors for watering lawns and gardens.
- Running the water while brushing your teeth wastes up to 4 gallons a minute.
- Almost 80% of the Earth's surface is covered with water.
- The BATHROOM is the room in the house where most water is used. (The toilet is the number one water-using appliance in the home).