Water Pollution Control

Household Hazardous Waste

Quick Guide to Household Hazardous Waste

Easy information about where to dispose of Household Hazardous Wastes

Regional Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program

The City of Independence, MO is a member of the Regional Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program, a service coordinated by the MARC Solid Waste Management District.

Residents have year-round access to the safe disposal of unwanted products such as paint, lawn and garden chemicals, automotive fluids, batteries, florescent bulbs and house cleaners.

Business waste is not accepted.

Residents can access the permanent facilities in Lee’s Summit and Kansas City and also can attend any of the mobile events scheduled April through October. 

For more information please visit recyclespot.org and click on the “HHW” tab, or call (816) 701-8226.

Kansas City Facility

4707 Deramus St.,  Kansas City, MO 64120
Phone: (816) 513-8400
Open Thursday & Friday: 9-6 and Saturday 9-4
Closed Sunday through Wednesday
No Appointment Necessary!
Please bring ID to show you are an Independence resident

Lee’s Summit Facility

By appointment only
Phone: (816) 623-3066
100-pound limit per visit
Open first Saturday of the month, April Thru November
Open every third Wednesday of the year for antifreeze, batteries, oil and paint ONLY

Household Hazardous Waste Mobile Event Information

Information about HHW Mobile Collection Events Around the Metro - FREE for Independence Residents

A typical home contains a vast array of hazardous products used for cleaning, painting, beautifying and disinfecting, such as garden and yard pesticides/herbicides, paint, automotive fluids, etc. Unwanted household products labeled as flammable, toxic, corrosive, or reactive are household hazardous wastes (HHW). Chemical-based household products from a single home may seem insignificant; but when thousands of homes use similar products, the combined effect becomes a major problem if they are handled, stored or disposed of improperly. The health and safety of people and animals, as well as the environment, is endangered when these types of products are discarded in the trash, poured down sinks or into storm drains.

Some examples of products which will be accepted are: any batteries, paint and paint products (aerosol cans, varnish, stripper, thinner, turpentine, etc.); fluorescent light bulbs; garden and yard products (herbicides, pesticides, sprays, rat poison, and weed killers); all automotive fluids (antifreeze, used motor oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, and gasoline); household cleaners (lye, drain, toilet and tub cleaners, oven cleaners; kerosene; mercury thermometers; unused and/or outdated medicines, etc. If you are uncertain whether your particular waste will be accepted, call Water Pollution Control at 816-325-7727.

NO electronics, appliances, trash, yard waste, medical waste, tires, asbestos, radioactive waste, pressurized gas cylinders or commercial waste will be accepted.

Independence residents are welcome to take their HHW to any mobile event for free or to take it to the HHW Facility.

While transporting the products to the site, tightly secure all container lids. Bring the items in original containers, if possible. Don’t mix different or unknown substances. If containers are leaking, wrap in plastic and pack in a larger container/box with absorbent material, such as cat litter. To pack items, use sturdy tubs or boxes and surround them with newspaper. Keep chemicals away from children and pets while transporting. Volunteers will help unload vehicles. No walk ups will be allowed.

At any other time of the year, residents are welcome to take their household hazardous waste to the Kansas City, Missouri facility for free disposal. Normal days of for disposal are Thursdays, Fridays between 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Saturdays 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. No appointments required. If you have questions or concerns about materials that you would like to recycle you may contact the Kansas City Facility at 816-513-8401.>

2018 Mobile Collection Event Schedule:

April 7 Independence Independence Square/Walnut and Liberty Streets 9 am - 1 pm
April 28 Blue Springs Pink Hill Park - 2715 NW Park Drive 8 am - Noon
May 12 Belton/Raymore Location TBD 8 am - Noon
May 19 Richmond Richmond City Hall - 205 Summit St 8 am - Noon
June 9 Harrisonville Streets Department - 1403 S Independence 8 am - Noon
June 23 Gladstone Happy Rock Park - North Antioch at 76th St in Gladstone 8 am - Noon
Augut 11 Liberty Liberty School Services - 801 Kent St 8 am - Noon
August 25 Platte County/Weston/Platte City Platte Ridge Park - 17130 MO Hwy 371 (North of Platte City) 8 am - Noon
September 15 Parkville/Riverside Platte Landing Park - 164 S Main St in Parkville 8 am - Noon
September 22 Excelsior Springs/Lawson Excelsior Springs Public Works - 103 E Water St 8 am - Noon
October 20 Grain Valley/Jackson County Jackson County Public Works - 34900 E Old US 40 Hwy
between Grain Valley and Oak Grove
8 am - Noon
October 27 Lake Lotawana/Lone Jack/Greenwood Location TBD 8 am - Noon

 2018 HHW Participating Communities:

2018 HHW Participating Communities
Belton Kearney Pleasant Valley
Blue Springs Lake Lotawana Raymore
Cleveland Lake Tapawingo Richmond
Excelsior Springs Lake Waukomis Riverside
Garden City Lake Winnebago Smithville
Gladstone Lawson Sugar Creek
Glenaire Lee's Summit Weatherby Lake
Grain Valley Liberty Weston
Greenwood Lone Jack Unincorporated Clay County*
Harrisonville North Kansas City Unincorporated Jackson County*
Independence Parkville Unincorporated Platte County*
Kansas City, Mo. Platte City  

Unincorporated county membership in the Regional HHW Collection Program allows residents of communities with populations less than 500 to access program services at no charge.

* In Clay County this includes residents of Mosby, Missouri City, Prathersville, Randolph, Birmingham, Holt, Oakview, Oakwood, Oakwood Park and Oaks.

* In Jackson County this includes residents of Levasy, River Bend, Sibley and Unity Village.

* In Platte County this includes residents of Tracy, Platte Woods, Farley, Northmoor, Houston Lake, Iatan, Ridgely, and Ferrelview.

If you would like more information about the City’s Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Program
or the upcoming mobile collection, please call Water Pollution Control at (816) 325-7727.