The City of Independence Parks and Recreation is proud to partner with Unlimited Play, Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation, Variety KC and Vireo to build Independence’s first universally inclusive park at McCoy Park, 800 N. Bess Truman Parkway. The park's current amenities include tennis courts, shelters, a National Park Service Site, sprayground, and horseshoe pits. By way of this project, McCoy Park will soon feature a large playground and baseball field that will meet and exceed ADA standards.
We are excited to announce that this summer we will be opening the Variety Playground sponsored by the Automobile Dealers Association of Greater Kansas City. We would like to thank all of the organizations for their continued support.
Unlimited Play specializes in creating a destination playground that will greatly impact your community for generations to come. Our unique, custom design is very mindful of the many challenges that people face and is dedicated to creating a play space for every person regardless of what they can or cannot do.
Unlimited Play playgrounds include a variety of features that you will not find on typical ADA compliant playgrounds. Some of the McCoy All–Inclusive playground (naming coming soon) will include:
- Pioneer/trails themed area accessible to children and caregivers of all abilities; fenced around to provide the utmost safety.
- Safe, smooth surfacing that ensures mobility for children/adults in wheelchairs and walkers and for those who experience difficulty on uneven surfacing.
- Ramping systems from the bottom to the very top of every play element.
- Swings including adaptive swings, toddler swings, and the very popular saucer swings.
- Stainless steel slides and roller slides to enable children with Cochlear ear implants to enjoy.
- Sensory rich environment including musical elements such as tuned drums and aluminum chimes, and interactive panels to spark problem-solving and team work.
Donate to Project
Baseball Field Features
There is something about playing the game of baseball that lights up a youngster’s eyes but for children with special needs, that opportunity has not existed in Independence until now! In partnership with the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation we are changing the game for these children by building them a field of their own.
The baseball field will feature large dugouts to accommodate mobility devices and extra players, rubberized surfacing and the bases will be flush with the playing surface to allow for easy mobility.
Our goals are simple:
- To provide a quality baseball field with supporting facilities for ALL children to play the game of baseball.
- To provide a wonderful experience for children and their families.
- To provide an atmosphere where children can have fun in a safe barrier free environment.
Donate to Project
- Parking spaces - Additional ADA spots will be located throughout the park
- Restrooms - Modifications will be done to existing restrooms
- Paths and trails - Streamline and repairing the park's existing path system
- Horseshoe pits - Improve accessibility by increasing entry gates
Donate to Project
How to Get Involved
- Sponsorship a piece of equipment that will showcase your support with a permanent plaque (sizes will vary)
- Contributing in-kind donations that could include: marketing support, publicity, materials.
- Hosting third-party fundraisers with proceeds benefitting the project.
- Engaging a corporate partner, service club, school, or organization. We would be happy to present to your community group.
- Volunteering your time with us towards a community event.
- Spreading the word about the McCoy Park Inclusive Play Project.
For more information, please contact Victoria Schmitt Babb at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the Online Store for the McCoy Park Inclusive Play Project!
- Gift donations - Give the gift of play! A thank you card will be sent to
acknowledge the gift that has been made on their behalf.
- Commemorative brick - A personalized brick laid in our wagon wheel gardens.
A great way to pay tribute to a special occasion such as a birth, graduation, anniversary,
or to honor a loved one.