The Power's Out . . . What do I do
Independence Power & Light works hard to provide its customer with safe and
reliable electric service. Power outages, however, do sometimes occur for reasons
outside a utility's control.
In the event of a power outage take the following steps:
- Check to see if other lights are on in your neighborhood. If other homes have lights, check for a blown fuse or a circuit breaker that has tripped to the "off" position.
- If there are no other lights on in your neighborhood, or if you are unable to locate the cause of your power outage, call Independence Power & Light at (816) 325-7550.
- Unplug televisions and computers. Leave a light or radio on to help you know when power has been restored.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. Food can stay cold for 12 - 48 hours, but that time is significantly reduced if the door is opened.
- Stay away from any downed power lines. These lines are extremely dangerous. Call IPL immediately, at (816) 325-7550, if you see power lines down.
- Before using a generator, learn how to operate it safely.