Municipal Services


What is the Floodplain?

A floodplain is the lowland adjacent to a river, lake or creek.


Floodplains are designated by the frequency of the flood that is large enough to cover them, for example, the 10-year, 25-year or 100-year floodplain. Flood frequencies are determined by plotting a graph of the size of all known floods for an area and determining how often floods of a particular size occur.

Another way of expressing the flood frequency is the chance of occurrence in a given year, which is the percentage of the probability of flooding each year. For example, the 100-year flood has a 1% chance of occurring in any given year.

Most of the known floodplains in the U.S. have been mapped by the National Flood Insurance Administration, one of the parts of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Copies of all of these maps for Independence are kept by Public Works. They can also be accessed electronically at FEMA's Flood Map Service Center

The City of Independence participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), so FEMA can offer flood insurance protection to ALL residents and property owners, not just those located within the designated 100-year flood zone. 

Properties located in a designated Floodplain

According to the NFIP, residential and commercial building located in the 100-year flood zone with mortgages and/or loans from federally-regulated or insured lenders are required to carry flood insurance. Flood insurance rates are determined by FEMA and your insurance agent. 

Any type of work in the designated 100-year flood zone will require a Floodplain development permit prior to starting work.

To apply for a floodplain development permit, fill out the online form and send via email to Brad Phelps at or 816-325-7614. 

Floodplain Permit

Additional Information


Map Changes and Flood Insurance. What property owners need to know.

Why Do I Need Flood Insurance?

How To Read A Flood Insurance Rate Map