Commercial Facade Program
The Independence Commercial Façade Improvement Program (CFIP) is not currently accepting applications for funding assistance.
The CFIP has provided dollar-for-dollar matching grants on a competitive basis to commercial properties located within the four targeted redevelopment areas of the Independence Square, Englewood, Fairmount and Maywood.
Below you will find the program guidelines for informational purposes only.
In order to insure the most equitable and effective use of available CFIP funding, in terms of leveraged private investment, ability of the projects to further program goals and objectives, and ability of the projects to spend available grant funding in the most timely manner; the City asked that the following additional items were provided:
- A written scope of work, and/or detailed architectural drawings, explaining the work expected to be completed in conjunction with the Commercial Façade Improvement Program project.
Note: The CFIP is funded with federal Community Development Block Grant Funds and therefore requires compliance with federal historic preservation standards. All applicants are encouraged to consult the City’s Historic Preservation Manager, Wendy Shay, prior to establishing a scope of work in order to insure compliance with preservation standards. Wendy can be reached at 816.325.7419 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Representative photographs of the property proposed for rehabilitation.
- A detailed budget or cost estimate for the proposed scope of work, including the dollar amount being requested from the CFIP.
- A detailed explanation of the total private investment that would be leveraged by the CFIP project, including documentation of secured financing (ie. letter of credit, loan approval, certification of cash on hand), or documentation (ie. paid receipts) of capital improvement expenditures already incurred in the last three years, where applicable.
Note: As stated in the CFIP Policies and Procedures, “The CFIP makes available dollar-for-dollar matching grants, up to a maximum grant of $25,000…With the approval of the City Council, matching grants in excess of $25,000 may be awarded to projects that satisfy one or more of the following criteria:
- The project will leverage additional funding towards the building rehabilitation from State and/or Federal Investment Tax Credit Programs.
- The owner/tenant is contributing a monetary investment of at least 50% of the total County assessed market value to the rehabilitation of the building.
- The size/extent of the building’s primary f açade comprises at least 30%, measured by linear feet of frontage, of the contiguous streetscape.
Projects that satisfy more than one of the above criteria may be given priority consideration for available funding.”
- Description of existing business(s) or evidence of new tenant commitments (ie. letter of intent to lease), to be operated out of the building proposed for rehabilitation. This description should include:
- Details of hours and days of operation and primary service being provided.
- Where applicable, copy of current business license.
- An explanation of all space to remain vacant or utilized for storage including approximate square footage, location within the building footprint, and reason for vacancy.
- Expected time frame for completion of proposed rehabilitation work including, where applicable, the anticipated date of business opening.
The information provided was evaluated by City Staff to determine completeness, and completed applications were then presented to the Commercial Façade Improvement Program Design Committee for determination of a funding recommendation. The recommendation of the Committee served as the basis for CFIP grant awards. Projects not selected for funding were invited to reapply at the next available funding opportunity.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact Christina Leakey at 816.325.7397 or by e-mail at email@example.com.