City of Independence, Missouri

COVID-19: Updates on Changes to City Services

Updated May 20, 2020

  • Animal Services – As of March 24 the Regional Animal Shelter is closed to the public. There will be no adoptions or surrenders of stray or owned animals, unless deemed an emergency. Please call (816) 325-7207.
  • Building Permits – All trade permits (electrical, mechanical, plumbing and roofing) will be completed through the website at All other permits will be completed by appointment only. Please call (816) 325-7401 to make an appointment, only check payments will be accepted.
  • Business Licenses – All liquor administrative hearings have been cancelled. Business owners or applicants should contact the Business License Compliance officers via (816) 325-7079. To renew business licenses, please visit . Staff will investigate complaints of non-essential businesses.
  • Census – There will be no Census Assistant Centers available at this time. You will receive your mailing this week and can complete it online, by phone or by mail. Mayor Weir is leading the Independence Complete Count Committee and she will continue to coordinate this effort and provide information to the citizens and community partners who are assisting in the Census outreach. Visit for questions or details.
  • Facilities – Facilities maintenance crews will increase regular cleaning rotations throughout the various buildings, including sanitizing regularly touched locations such as door handles, counters, elevator buttons and railings.
  • Fire Department –
    • Stations will restrict public access to our Fire Department facilities. Personnel are asked to voluntarily limit family from coming in to Fire Department facilities.
    • The Fire Department will cease Commercial Inspection activity in the Operations Division.
    • The Department is immediately suspending the Ride-Along Program.
    • We will also be reducing some of our non-essential activities that require crews to leave their stations.
    • Our citizens should continue to call 9-1-1 for emergencies and (816) 836-3600 for non-emergencies.
    • They are preparing for other deployment changes as the situation evolves.
  • Paying utility bills – The Independence Utility Center closed March 17, 2020, and will remain so until approximately May 15. Please use the drop box at City Hall, 111 E. Maple Ave., or the Independence Utilities Center, 17221 E. 23rd St. S., for check and money order utility payments. As previously announced, customers are encouraged to pay their utility bills via the City’s website here, or over the automated phone system at (816) 325-SERV. All credit card and online transaction fees are being waived until further notice. Further, there will be no utility shut-offs or late fees until further notice.
  • Police Department –
    • The Police Department is closing the lobby of Central Police Headquarters located at 223 N. Memorial Drive. A telephone is available to the public in the vestibule to make police reports, speak with police personnel and request other services.
    • Finger printing and Watch Guard Security licensing renewals will be extended through June and will not be renewed until further notice. Traffic crash reports can still be obtained online at .
    • The police department is implementing some operational adjustments including work schedules and encouraging citizens to report certain types of incidents over the phone instead of utilizing critical emergency resources to respond to their location.
    • When requesting police services, please continue to call 9-1-1 for emergencies and (816) 836-3600 for non-emergencies and past occurred incidents. Our call takers will assign a priority level and determine the best course of action.
  • Reporting concerns – Citizens are now able to report their concerns via the City’s new app - IndepNow. You can download the app from the Google Play Store here or the Apple App Store here. Please allow for delays in response to these service requests as City staff work through this situation with modified staffing in various departments.

  Back to Menu