City of Independence, Missouri

Fireworks Vendor Application

Applications from not-for-profit groups for the sale of consumer grade, or Division 1.4G, fireworks will be accepted at the City of Independence Finance Department between 8 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017 and 5 p.m. Friday, April 14, 2017. No early or late applications will be accepted.

To apply, download a fireworks license application or visit City Hall. The Finance Department Licensing Division is located on the second floor, 111 E. Maple.

Included in the materials are directions for applying and the rules and regulations regarding the sale and use of fireworks. Applications must include a site plan and security plan. There is a $250 non-refundable fee for each fireworks application received and must be paid at the time of application.

City Code allows anyone 16 and older to use and/or possess consumer grade fireworks between the hours of 10 a.m. and 11 p.m. from Monday, July 3 to Wednesday, July 5.  Not-for-profit organizations may be licensed for authority to sell fireworks within the city limits from 10 a.m. Friday, June 23, 2017 to noon on Wednesday, July 5, 2017.

Not-for-profit organizations are allowed only one license unless there are an insufficient number of applicants to issue the authorized number of licenses.

It is illegal for any person in Independence to possess, store, handle, or use:

  • Bottle rockets, aerial missiles or similar device;
  • Sparkler bombs; or
  • Altered or combined fireworks. 

For more information, contact Business License Manager, Terry Hartwig at (816) 325-7078 or at